Some Captured History of Glanamman and Garnant
The above image dates to the 1920's and shows part of what is now Parc Golwg yr Aman. A game of tennis is in progress in the centre of the image and in the distance is the Amman Tinplate Works. Clicking on the above image will give a better view of the Tennis court.
The 16th Feb 1922 edition of the Amman Valley Chronicle made a reference to the Glanyrafon Tennis Club having a successful "last season" and that they were intending to lay a new court for the forthcoming season.
The former Amman Tinplate site was purchased by Cwmamman Town Council around 1996 and now holds a basketball area, rugby field, skateboard park, fishing platforms and attractive landscaped features with a solid cycle path and footpaths which are illuminated by street lamps at night.
Across the river, Garnant Park which was originally known as the Cwmamman Recreation Ground was sited on land owned by Lord Dynefwr and once formed part of the Glanrafon Farm estate. The first footbridge allowing access to the recreation ground from the New Bethel side of the river was built around 1909. Essential repairs were carried out to the footbridge four years later in July of 1913 and the Amman Valley Chronicle reported that it had been left to go to a very dilapitated state and that it was a wonder that there was any bridge left!
Footbridge to Cwmamman Recreation Ground c.1920
The Cwmamman Urban Council originally gave serious consideration to taking over the recreation ground from its lease holders in 1913. Unfortunately, approximately only 14 years remained on the lease and the council suffered from a lack of funds. To complicate matters further, the lease holdes at the time had a debt of approximately £300 and should the council have taken over the recreation ground, it was expressed that they would be expected to pay half of the outstanding debt. That meant that the council would require a loan from the Local Government Board which would put an extra charge on the rates. As the area was suffering from an industrial depression at that time and the fact that it was unlikely that the loan would be granted for such a short term lease, the council unanimously agreed not to proceed.
Cwmamman Recreation Ground looking towards Christchurch c.1920
A paddling pool, sand pit and conveniences for a Children's Playground were installed at a cost of £3,192 9s 5d after the tender was approved by Cwmamman Urban Council at their monthly meeting in July of 1950. The contract was given to Ben Morgan and Sons of Glanamman. At that time, the aquisition of Penybont Field at Glanamman for recreational development was also discussed by the Council and the District Valuer was requested to negotiate with the trustees of the estate who had stated that they were willing to sell the land.
In December of 1956, the Cwmamman Urban Council received a letter from the Dynevor Estate Office confirming that Lord Dynefwr was willing for the construction of a grandstand at Cwmamman Park. The Amman United R.F.C. had proposed the construction and maintenance of a grandstand at the Club's own expense.
Cwmamman Recreation Ground Aug 2008
An amusing feature found beside the footpath at Parc Golwg yr Aman is the large stone with the appearance of a face. If one looks closely, it is clear that the tongue is protruding. Perhaps it is an indignant gesture towards those who stare at it as they walk by.
Information on this page was taken from various editions of the Amman Valley Chronicle and the Carmarthenshire County Council website.