The original "Pwll Perkins" pit may have been in the proximity of the water wheel, to the east of the River Garnant. The shaft where the accident took place was on the western side of the river. Work started on this shaft in 1874, several years after the "Pwll Perkins" pit was closed. For more information about Garnant Pit, visit the "More About Garnant Colliery" page on this site.
The image below is a section of an OS Map dated 1878. The area circled in red shows the location of the pit where the accident occurred. The green circle shows where the water wheel was located.
© Crown Copyright 1878.
Click inside the circles to see the location.
At the border of Garnant and Gwaun Cae Gurwen, the A474 crosses a small river. Slightly North of this river bridge is a small lane, just south of a property which used to be known as,"The Globe Inn." This lane leads to a private dwelling which sits just beyond the area where Garnant Pit was situated in 1884. The roads above have been highlighted in cerise and the waterways in blue. The railway line is shown in black. It should be noted that the railway line shown above was replaced by a new line which follows a different route, now west of the old pit.
Please be aware that this is a private area and that there is now no evidence that there was ever a colliery there. The fact that the householders living there have a guard dog suggests that they would like their privacy respected! It is also worth remembering that old coal pits have a habit of subsiding and that it is not unknown for large holes to suddenly appear in the ground! Please be aware of the dangers associated with investigating old coal sites.